Thursday, September 4, 2008

Broulims

There are many things I love about Rexburg. For instance, the fact that the gas tank in my car has been on empty for two weeks, I can bike anywhere in the city, everyone seems to know each other, and it feels like fall for the first time in 5 years. However there is one thing that is perplexing to me: Broulim's Grocery Store. There are few grocery shopping choices here in Rexburg, and since it always smells like doughnuts, I choose to shop at the local Broulim's. I have witnessed a few strange things so far that have disturbed me...Last week I saw a little boy with his mother leaving the store in his underwear. Not a diaper mind you, real honest to goodness underwear. Whatever happened to "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service"? I'm pretty sure pants are implied there.

Furthermore there is a checker girl there who has the strangest hair I have ever seen, it looks like a box. It is a very artificial color of black with the back teased up and then covered with a thin layer of hair creating a very severe square shape. All the checkers have name tags that say "Ask me about (Fill in the Blank)" to help strike up conversations at the checkout. Of course all this really does is make me mad that I have to wait in line longer while people chit chat about disney movies. Anyway, as I look at this girls name tag (I wanted to see what a person with hair like this is named) it says "Ask me about...my hair"

Hmmmm...Ok I will... "What is wrong with you hair?! What inspired such a geometric hair display? Could a person feasibly rest a house plant on your hair without it falling? Do you like the movie Edward Scissorhands?" I didn't really ask any questions, perhaps I was still in shock, but needless to say the square hair haunts me still.

And finally yesterday, I was again in the check out line being helped by friendly checker Dan, who found it necessary to yell out the numbers for produce to the girl next to him rather than scan my food efficiently. As I was waiting somewhat impatiently for them to debate the number for watermelon, I happen to glance down at Dan's name tag. It says "Ask me about...Fire"

What??? That is your favorite hobby? Lighting fire? Of all the things you would love to discuss, fire is your number one?
Even "Ask me about...produce numbers" seems more appropriate than fire!

Oh well...At least it smells like doughnuts...

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm pretty sure that Broulims is the grocery store where my sister bounced check after check at when she was at Ricks.

You seriously have to:
1) ask that lady about her hair
and 2) sneakily take a picture of it to post here for all of us to see.

I wish my grocery store smelled like donuts. And my kids have always been fully clothed when shopping... even if those clothes were princess dresses, bathing suit, or ballet tutus. They had clothes on.

Paige said...

You had me at "it smells like donuts." I wish all buildings smelled like donuts. Thanks for the hilarious commentary on your grocery store. You so funny! However, there is just one thing missing from your post...I'm pretty sure we need a picture of the square hair. I second Nancy on that one--we need pictures!! :)

McCabe Family said...

Ha that is too funny. In defense of the woman with the kid in his underware. I have been that woman and man I got so many odd looks, in addition it was winter outside. But in my defense Porter had just thrown up all over his clothes and I did the best I could do with him in the nasty bathroom sink but I felt his was cleaner with the puke than with whatever was living inside the sink. And we always used to get these great chocolate chip cookies at Broulims when I was a kid in Montpelier. Yeah for Broulims.

Monique said...

hi angela! I just happened to peek in on your blog - you are too cute. You have also inspired me to get my clothes to fit a little better. I do agree that marriage comes with baggage (including love-handles and jiggles). Anyway, it sounds like you are doing awesome!

Jill Christian Di Pietro said...

Angela, you have clearly missed your calling in life. You should have been a writer! When are your memoirs coming out? Or was it vignettes? Didn't you say you were going to write them in college? :) I'll buy the first copy!