Friday, September 26, 2008

Political Outrage from an Uneducated Person

I have just finished watching the first presidential debate and I have come to a very strong conclusion. I cannot be involved in politics...EVER. Every once in awhile I feel guilty about not being up to date on politics. I feel bad because I would rather watch an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond than the news. "What is wrong with me?" I wonder to myself, "I am an educated person, I should care enough about our country to learn about the goings on that effect my daily life." But after participating in politics for one hour, I remember why I shy away from politics: I get too emotional, I get frightened for our country's future, and I am exasperated by the stupidity of the people that make up our voting pool.

After the debate was over I was interested to hear what the public response would be so I continued to watch the media coverage. I became more and more irritated as I listened to political analysts and "average" voters comment on the debate. Every analyst has a political agenda already in mind and regardless of what happened, spins the candidates' comments to sway the public in their favor. I don't understand why we should cover up the weaknesses of the candidates? If they have strengths we should talk about them and if they have weaknesses we should talk about them. Why should we pretend that they are something they aren't? Shouldn't we know all the facts and then we can make educated decisions? I would prefer the American people make voting decisions based on facts rather than mind games and political strategies.

I was further agitated when the program jumped to Las Vegas to poll a random sample of "undecided" voters. I was appalled to hear the basis for their new found "decided" vote. Phrases like "He seemed bumbly", "He was too sentimental" and "He touched my heart" were thrown around. Are these people idiots? I understand that they probably have been pulled away from the slot machines or on their way to a Celine Dion concert, but honestly I hardly think some stuttering is going to really effect the dismal economic situation or foreign policy.

I recognize that I don't know much about politics, and after tonight I prefer to stay that way. Regardless of how I vote in November, I'm sure I will still have to pay enormous amounts of taxes, gas will still be expensive, and Celine Dion's heart will still go on.

Oh and Adam's thoughts are, "Leave my guns alone."

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I agree. Brandon's always been pretty political but the more I learn the more I stress about the status of our country the world, etc.

McCabe Family said...

I am with Adam.

Amott Family said...

Ang-
I love to read your blog!
:)
Ande

becky said...

AGREED! Politicians and politics = lame. I couldn't even watch the debate without feeling sick. We can be politically ignorant together. Maybe I'll just vote for you for president. You can write people's names in, can't you?

Julie said...

Ang,

Yea! I found your blog! Congrats of the DMA and being a professor - I'm proud of you! I look back fondly on those years of you practicing flute in the kitchen. You are a babe and a 1/2.

Julie
P.S. We are with Adam on this. You married a good man.