Friday, July 17, 2009

Essay: On My Summer Vacation I...

Welcome back to me! I haven't blogged lately because I have been dabbling in the land of Java, otherwise known as taking a 3 week summer course in Southeast Asian Music. I had to finish my last music history class for my doctorate so I took a month off of teaching and ran off to Phoenix. Although I missed Adam dreadfully, I had so much fun in Arizona!
My class was hilarious! The only 3 week course that was offered was Southeast Asian Music. At first I was kind of disappointed because I didn't think I would learn anything of worth, but it turned out to be totally awesome. My class was mostly about the music of Central Java, an island in Indonesia, and specifically the gamelan. Ah the gamelan...
If you are anything like me you have no idea what a gamelan is, well it is ensemble that is made up of gongs, sarons, kepuls, ketuks, bonangs, pekings, genders, and many more crazy named instruments. Basically its kettle drums, various-sized gongs, and xylophones that you hit with beaters.
My typical class day consisted of one hour of lecture and another hour of me banging around on funny instruments and laughing my head off. It was a blast!
I've included some pictures to give you an idea of the fun!

This is after class was over one day, my teacher is in the middle. He has just finished yelling at me because I was playing the gong standing up. Apparently you are not allowed to play the gong standing in Java, even if your knees are bleeding from kneeling on the carpet...


Here is the illustrious gong, and my new haircut!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

First... I'm mad at you for how stinkin' fast your hair has always grown. THAT'S a haircut!?!

Second... I'm jealous that you get to take classes like that and get a doctorate. It's like all of my mom's extra elementary ed. classes she had to take to keep her teaching certificate that consisted of a lot of coloring.

Paige said...

Oh come on! I thought that everyone knew that you can't play the gong standing up!!! :) J-O-K! I loved having you in PHX and I loved the daily gong playing recap. So glad we could share these amazing moments with you. Miss you!

janel said...

I'm certain a lot more people would go for doctorates in music if they knew such classes were in the works for them.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

I love your haircut!! And I'm so glad you had a great time in Phoenix :O)

krista said...

Hot new do! Was it inspired by the comment you left on my blog from my hair? Oh the days of the honey pot. I am so mad I didn't get to see you while you were down here gonging it up. What dee heck?

Danielle said...

Oh wow, Southeast Asian Music! I always got a teens bored when listening to that for more than 30 seconds. I wish we could have taken it together! Your hair looks awesome. Maybe it could teach my hair how to look the same way.