Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tuwanda!

So Adam and I have taken the big plunge...we have unplugged our cable and DVR box! We decided that we spend WAY too much time watching really stupid shows, so yesterday we took out the cable cord and rearranged out living room furniture so there could be no going back. On tuesday I will call the cable company and cancel everything and we will be a TV free family! Well not totally TV free, we'll still watch movies and the shows we really like on the internet, but our days of laying around watching Frasier are over. So far we've been without cable for 24 hours and its been a little hard, but mostly nice. So far we actually had a conversation while eating dinner, I did almost all of our laundry (miracle of all miracles), and we went to bed at a decent time last night. Its been so nice! I'm sure future days will include feeling isolated from the outside world, and me pulling my hair out for one glimpse of Full House, but for now we are enjoying our major life change!

14 comments:

Nancy said...

Hoorah! We are tv free (except for dvds and a couple shows on the internet) and have been for several years now. About two years ago we bought bunny ears for our tv and for awhile we could watch abc and cbs but eventually we just decided to watch shows on the internet or wait to check out their dvds from the library.

PS I love your title. I named a kitten Tuwanda once.

Amber said...

Wow- I'm really impressed. We definitely spend too much time watching TV- I'm sure I could get so much accomplished without it. Good Luck!

Jessica said...

I love not having cable and just internet shows and movies. I get so much more done!! And I definitely practice more that way. lol

Rach said...

Wow, you are so strong. I don't know if I could do it. I went for a week and a half in Mississippi without, and was ready to cut off my own head. I am in awe of your strength. Good job.

Jennifer M said...

That's pretty huge. Way to go!

Kristan said...

I am a little speachless. :) I mean cutting back is one thing. Turning off the DVR is another. But letting go completely. Impressive. Good Luck.

Paige said...

Wow! Words cannot express my sadness...

How will we talk about Top Model and Project Runway? However, I am mucho impressed. I don't think I would be able to do that, so props to the two of you!! You are must stronger then I am!

becks said...

So does this mean you're going to watch Taking the Stage online? Seriously, life with no TV . . . you're a better person than I am :P I feel like I've been watching more TV than ever lately!

Molly and Jason said...

I give it until the next season's shows all come out! You won't be able to resist.

Danielle said...

Way to go! When Jacob was born I made the same decision after about one week, because I can't resist the tv when it's on. I bet you won't even miss it after a while! Besides, you can always pop in Little House on the Prairie.

Jessica / Brian Bangerter said...

Good for you, We did it over a year and a half ago.It's been the greatest thing, and yes, you actually get things done. I know that if we let go of the internet, that would be a tough day for me, I hope we never go that far, Congrat's!

janel said...

I hope you have your copy of "Center Stage" to get you through. No, seriously, that's awesome. I still shudder to think how often I actually watched Judge Judy and other ridiculous things when Mark was in China....

janel said...

Any chance you'd consider posting a picture of your new bangs?

krista said...

You are amazing. Good work. It's funny how much TV becomes a part of life when it's just on all the time. I loved your comment from my hair, by the way. I had a good chuckle. We had so many funny honey-pot messages!