Sunday, July 26, 2009

GCTT 2009!

One of my favorite things about my visit to Arizona was my week long stay with my dear old roommate and best buddy Jill.
Jill and I first became roommates when we both moved to Arizona 6 years ago. We didn't meet until the day we moved into our shared bedroom in the Smoke House on Alma School Road (named thus because of the smoke that came in through the vents from our smoking neighbors). We quickly bonded over our shared depression upon leaving Provo and soon became hilarious pals. Jill and I were room roommates for 4 years and not a day passed that didn't involve some sort of hilarious antic. There is something about Jill that inspires true spazziness in me and our week long reunion was full of spaz in epic proportions...

One of my favorite moments occurred the last night that I was there. Jill's roommate Amanda has within her possession the largest candy collection of all time. She has an entire shelf dedicated to treats, yes we too became fast friends or candy soul mates if you will. She has bins full of candy, fruit snacks, soda, salty treats and much more, it was a candy addict's (i.e. me) dream come true. On the final eve of Jill/Angela Fabfest we were sitting around eating haribo gummi bears and I innocently asked Jill which of the gummi bear flavors was her favorite. Fifteen minutes later, with the help of Amanda and her boyfriend Dave, we had assembled the Great Candy Taste Test 2009. The concept was simple: carefully taste each flavor of candy and then list the order of preference. We tested at least five different candy flavors and the results were astonishing! Flavors that I loved, the others hated and vice versa. I would never have thought that taste buds could vary so much. It really made me rethink the abolishment of yellow starbursts, and the wisdom of eating so much candy. Despite cleansing our palate's with milk between each flavor, we all became very ill and I had to abstain from candy for the next few days...
ok...hours...

Here is the documentation for posterity:)

My score sheet


Dave, Amanda, and Jill displaying the GCTT '09 set up


Thanks Jill and Amanda for a truly fun week!

12 comments:

Leah said...

Oh how I love candy! Wish I could have participated in the great candy taste test. Seriously you girls are so funny, reading this post made me miss the days in the Smoke House....minus the smoke part.

janel said...

I think I need to meet Jill and Amanda. A trip to AZ is looking better and better these days, even though I'm not so sure about yellow Starbursts.

Paige said...

OMG...you are hilarious!! Oh the good old Smoke house days. Good think you didn't perform the taste test in the smoke house. I think the smoke would have compromised your palates.

Adkins Family said...

Hey Ang! I didn't even know you had a blog! I got your link from Ande's blog. You guys are hilarious! I love your candy tasting test idea. I may have to try that one of these days! Keep in touch!
Mindy

wendys said...

I love candy too but I feel sort of nauseous imaging how much candy you all ate!

Nancy said...

I'm so sad I wasn't there. Next time there is a candy taste test, count me in. I may have to go to the store and have an impromptu one of my own.

Rach said...

I would like to have a shelf in my pantry dedicated to candy. That basket of candy in the picture makes me want to hop in my car and head to Costco and buy up the entire candy section. I love the idea of a candy flavors taste test. Now I know what our FHE activity for next week is.

Kristan said...

Love it!

Julie said...

Your so smart, no wonder you are getting a doctorate! I think right now my favorite candy is starburst jelly beans special edition reds. But this is subject to change!!! I just can't committ to one kind.

becks said...

You are my hero! That is the BEST idea I have ever heard! I think I'm slowing becoming a candy addict, too. My stash is slowly taking over my entire cupboard. I'm not even joking!

julie said...

Sounds like heaven to me!

Jill said...

YUM! What a fun, fun night!!! Come down soon and we'll test some more candies ;-) P.S. I had a bag of Haribo gummy bears in guatemala with me and I was telling people all about GCTT 2009. Some found it exciting, others looked at me like, what?? I didn't share with them...remember, I don't share. HAHA!