Friday, October 31, 2008

Down with Trunk or Treat!

This is the saddest Halloween of all time. We purchased four huge bags of candy because we assumed we would receive tons of little trick-or-treaters. We live in an apartment complex with a profuse amount of children (we are the only childless couple in all of Idaho after all), our complex is comprised mainly of kids in our ward who we know, and we live in Rexburg, the most wholesome city in the world. And yet here we sit on Halloween night, our trick-or-treater count is at 2, and there are no children to be found... Down with trunk-or-treat! It is like the fast food version of Halloween. It is ruining the beauty of walking from house to house on a chilly Halloween night with the leaves blowing all around you. It has taken away the excitement of waiting for the door to open to yell "Trick-or-Treat" as loud as you can. All children have to do now is walk from car to car and they have all the candy they need within 15 minutes. Where is the fun in that? Trick-or-Treating is becoming a thing of the past and I am mourning its loss tonight...

P.S. Adam just suggested we go drive around and hand out candy from our car. Hey little kid want some candy??? Hmmm....

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I agree. While it is safe and convenient it's super annoying to have the same kid come to your trunk 4 times and none of them even say trick or treat because they are just walking past everyone holding out their bags. Plus then our house is dark and empty and we're being bad neighbors. We did the trunk or treat and then did a couple of little streets in our neighborhood. We got home at 8, lit our pumpkins in case there were any trick or treaters still out there. At 9 I blew out the candles and at 9:30 we got our only two trick or treaters.

Rach said...

Man, that stinks! We had our trunk or treat the day before Halloween, so we got double trick-or-treaters. We use the cheap junky candy for the trunk or treat and save the good stuff for the kids that put the effort into going door to door. And when Tim answers the door, he won't give out candy until the kids say "trick or treat". I swear parents aren't training their kids right anymore. They would come to our door and start grabbing candy out of our bowl, wouldn't say trick or treat, and wouldn't say thanks. What??? You get 10 pounds of free candy. The least you can do is say the words! Tim took it upon himself to train them.

Jessica said...

Bahaha, I can just see Adam giving away candy from his truck... "Hey kids, want some sweets?"

Jennifer M said...

Angela,
I just discovered your blog--and see that you stole my dream job. Congratulations!! You have no idea how my heart longs for Rexburg sometimes. Save me a spot so that someday when I play the flute really well I can come teach with you. Oh yeah, and I'll somehow have to convince Jeremy that the weather isn't so bad. He's such a California dude.

(Take good care of the Snow building for me, too)

Jennifer

wendys said...

I agree! I don't like trunk or treats either, we have never taken our kids to one. We should have driven up and rang your doorbell 50 times to get all your candy.

Jill Christian Di Pietro said...

I hate trunk or treat, too! I would go on, but you said it all.