Friday, August 22, 2008

Me=Balloon

So something strange happened to me after I got married.  All of a sudden my body seemed to be swelling up like a balloon and I feared I may have contracted elephantitus on our honeymoon.  My clothes were not fitting anymore and I noticed that I couldn't suck my tummy into a concave shape anymore no matter how hard I tried.  Then I realized that I had fallen prey to marriage stereotype numero uno: I got fat.  Waaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

I tried to deny it for awhile by using the old excuses-my clothes had shrunk in the dryer, I was bloated from my period, blah blah blah, but the glaring truth came to a head one sad, depressing afternoon...

My dear friend Rose is engaged to a fabulous cello player named Zoran.  Zoran lives in Tucson and is very busy so I rarely see him.  About a month ago he was up in Phoenix so we all went to lunch to catch up on old times etc. etc.  Later that day I was chatting with Rose and I happened to mention how I thought I was gaining weight since the wedding, to which Rose replied these fateful words, "I know!  Zoran asked me if you were pregnant!"

shock and awe

It is one thing to privately think you are gaining weight, but it is quite another to have it confirmed out loud for all the world to hear, ok just me, but it was still humiliating.

Later I asked my mom if she had noticed if I had gained weight lately, and she replied, "Yes.  You and Adam are like two cows in a pasture.  One cow alone won't eat enough, but when there is competition for food, they will both eat as much as they can."

Did my mom just compare me to a cow????

It just kept getting worse and worse, culminating with me finally stepping on the scale and confirming that I was nearly out of my healthy weight range...sniff sniff...i love food...and candy...and cake...

Do not fret dear readers there is a happy ending in sight because here enters the hero of all heros:
WEIGHT WATCHERS(yippee!)

When we moved to Rexburg, I decided it was time for me to make some serious changes so I joined our tiny local branch of weight watchers.  I will tell you this, accountability works people.  I love and fear the moment when I step on that scale each week and they write down in my little book how much I have lost or gained.  That moment keeps me in check all week which is why I am telling you all about my embarrassing weight gain.  I figure if I am accountable to not only my WW leader, but to all my friends and family then I am going to be SUPER good (it worked for Kirsti Alley didn't it? hahahaha!).  So from here on out I am going to keep you all updated on my weight loss!  I know you are all thrilled...
Here is the tally so far to get you all pumped up...
     
In 3 weeks I have lost 7.8 pounds!

Heck I may even post a before and after picture like on tv (not in my bikini though)! However if I suddenly stop talking about it, you will have to assume that I have fallen off the wagon...into a pile of chocolate cake hopefully... Anyway, thanks for all your support (all 2 of you) and long live Weight Watchers!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I can't believe your mom compared you guys to cows. I guess maybe it's the whole growing up around a farm mentality that makes those sort of comparisons acceptable and more everyday. I totally understand though. I could buy a huge bag of peanut butter M&Ms and make it last for awhile. But because there's a pretty good chance that Brandon will come home and eat the bag in one sitting, I have to power my way through an entire bag so I get my share.

Congrats on the first 7.8 lbs. Way to go!

Unknown said...

ANGELA! I feel AWFUL...you know how those Croats are not checking their thoughts before opening their mouths...I MISS YOU!

Jill Christian Di Pietro said...

Angela, you should just try being really poor. That's the diet that works for me and my husband. :) If you can't afford chocolate cake, you won't eat it! P.S. What are you guys doing in rural Idaho? School?

Monique said...

Angela! Aww, I missed your blog. I too gained marriage weight. I think it is a good thing (I have convinced myself of that... sort of :). I hope you are enjoying your married life and still indulging in the odd piece of cake (or two).

climb on (sigh),
Monique

McCabe Family said...

I can't tell you how excited I am that you guys are blogging. It makes it feel like you are not so far away. Angela...you can't even compare to the "marriage" weight I put on (ha ha). Good luck and I look forward to all of the blogs to come. Miss you guys lots and lots.

Paige said...

I almost rolled on the floor laughing when I read what your mom said! LOL!! Oh Angela, I am SO proud of your for joining WW. I tell you what, it is a great program. I did it in college to help me lose the freshman 10.:) I can't belive you already lost over 7 pounds! You are awesome girl! Just remember that pickles are zero points! I would always fill up on pickles, veggies, and popcorn. They make great low point snacks. Keep up posted on your progress. :)

Jill said...

I died laughing. I love reading your blog. Congrats on the weight loss! Thats great :)