Sunday, August 24, 2008

Only in Idaho

Adam and I were introduced by our dear roommates Paige and Sean.  Paige and Sean were engaged at the time and soon thereafter married.  This was SO nice not only because we eventually got married too, but also because we had an instant best friend couple.  It was so fun because Paige and I were super pals and so were Adam and Sean so there was never any worry about the wives getting along but the husbands hating each other and vice versa.  

Since moving to Idaho, Adam and I have missed our wonderful friends SO much.  We have now started the arduous process of finding couple friends here in Idaho.  Adam's work had a company BBQ a few weeks ago and we started chatting with his coworker Dar and his cute pregnant wife Kara (sidenote: everyone in Idaho is either pregnant or has a child, we are the lone childless couple wandering the entire state).  It was pretty fun so we decided to go out to dinner with them the following week.  As the day approached I started to feel a familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach, I finally figured out that it was the same feeling I used to get before a first date with a boy.  I realized at that moment that we are never done dating, we just do it in couples now.  I had the same anxiousness and anticipation that accompanied a date with a boy..."Could they be the one?  The couple that we could become best pals with?  Would our children grow up together and eventually get married?  Would we share camping trips and fourth of july celebrations?"  All of these thoughts ran through my mind as I got ready for the Big Date...

The evening started off normal enough, we met for dinner and chatted jovially about funny dating stories, families, the olympics etc.  Half way through the meal Adam informs me that after dinner we are going out to scout around Dar's hunting area to look for elk.  Dar apparently has a tag for an area west of Rexburg (for those of you non-hunters, a tag is a permission slip to kill a certain animal in a certain area.  You either buy them over the counter, or you get drawn out of a lottery for one.)  I didn't really want to go, but I couldn't be a spoil sport so we headed out to the area.  As we were driving around the farmland, all of a sudden we spot a herd of elk walking down a hill.  To put this into perspective Adam and I went hunting last October and we hiked for two days in the mountains, bush-wacking through forests and bushes and we only saw a handful of elk through binoculars, until the one he shot, and here they are basically walking up to us to ask for directions to the nearest alfalfa field.
Dar grabs his gun, I didn't even know he had a gun in the car, and after a few tense moments shoots one of the bulls.  So our first double date in Idaho ended with me holding up the legs while Adam and Dar gutted the elk and poor 8-months pregnant Kara held the flashlight. Hours later when we finally finished and were driving back home, Dar says to me, "What was your name again?"

Oh how we miss you Paige and Sean and the good old simple days of Grimaldi's!    

4 comments:

Nancy said...

That's like a foreign country to me... not just a different state. You actually held an elks legs while it was being gutted? Eww. And the guy didn't even remember your name! Brandon wants to live in some small midwestern town, maybe your stories of rural Idaho will help prepare me.

McCabe Family said...

I think a more fitting title is "only when married to a McCabe and living in Idaho". I must say that the majority of couple friends that he has brought into our lives are hunters (coincidence...I think not, it's like they can smell each other out and just know even before they talk)

Paige said...

Oh my gosh...so much to say...can't stopy laughing! LOL! First of all, let me just say that Sean and I miss you guys terribly. I can't tell you enough! We also started "dating" other couples, and even though we have found some good potential "partners," we totally miss you guys! I'm pretty sure that if you shouldn't kiss on a first date then you shouldn't gut an animal on your first date. :) You are a great sport Angela. What ever happened to dinner and a movie? Miss you!

ShaunaMahana said...

Wow, that almost sounds like they were putting you two through some sort of twisted initiation. "Welcome to Idaho, married people. Just to make sure you'll be able to get through the next phase of your life in a sane manner, we've put together an unusual situation to test your poise (and stomachs), tenacity, and other skills you'll need to survive this habitat we call Rexburg. Should you have any questions, don't bother to ask. We do all the asking, maybe even multiple times if your name is hard to remember (like the name Angela). Should you choose to stop the initiation proceeding, please raise your hand and the nearest member will glare at you until you put your hand down again. Thank you and welcome to Rexburg!"