Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I can't sleep

While getting ready for bed tonight, Adam and I began a conversation that started about people with poor hygiene and ended with me recounting memories of a summer I spent at a music camp in Brevard, North Carolina. As Adam drifted off to sleep, I continued to recount memory after memory even though he was no longer listening. My memories were so happy and fun that I couldn't stop myself from telling one after the other despite his waning interest.
When I arrived at Brevard, I distinctly remember turning onto the long paved driveway onto the campus and instantly feeling a sense of belonging, safety, and fun. Rarely do I approach an unknown experience without trepidation, but this is one time where I instantly felt comfortable and at home in unfamiliar surroundings. The following months flew by as I drank gallons of cherry coke in the cafeteria, rehearsed Ravel by the lake, and laughed with my roommate Liz who became my second sister. As I lay in bed tonight remembering the smell of our cabin and the sound of the rain on the roof, I started to think about other times in my life that are so happy I would love to live them all over again. I started to make a mental list of happy times that are so close to my heart I feel like they will burst out if I don't share them with all of you. You will probably fall asleep like Adam, but thats ok. I think this is a post for me I suppose...

1) All Christmases as a child
2) My entire freshman year of college
3) The first semester living in the Arch House
4) The Dew Drop Inn years, yes all 3 of them!
5) Trick-or-Treating
6) Driving in Paige's convertible with the top down, singing "Was it you who spoke the words..."
7) Russia Tour with the BYU Chamber Orchestra
8) The smell of orange blossoms in AZ
9) All the time spent with my grandparents, especially Easters
10) Summers playing in the pioneer house with Cousin Ande
11) Meeting Adam for the first time
12) The New Kids on the Block concert and all John Mayer Concerts
13) My senior recital
14) Brevard
15) Making up games with my siblings, heck most of my childhood
16) Laughing at Jill during our many years as room roommates
17) "Como se dice what?" Era
18) Water Polo Seasons, for the most part...
19) Maple House
20) Adam and I dating

I feel better, perhaps I will be able to sleep now:)

15 comments:

Jennifer M said...

I LOVE this post! I want to write one just like it.

We're a few hours from Brevard, and went a few years ago to stay in a cabin there. I loved the little town, and have always wanted to go back to the music festival. How cool that you were there!

Rach said...

I loved your list. I was surprised that you didn't mention the time we were on tour in the Eastern US and that creepy kid kept hitting on us and his mom thought it was okay. That was a great night!

Jessica said...

Yay for the Maple House!! :O)

Angela said...

How could I have forgotten! My favorite part was the cockroaches crawling out of the sink while brushing my teeth.

Angela said...

That comment refers to creepy house in New York on tour, not the Maple House...

janel said...

Yey for the DDI! What about clogging with Krista to "I'm not that innocent?" That makes me feel happy to remember, although Brian and Chante probably have different feelings about that episode. : )
And what about the German retard voice? And Marky doing crazy things to make you and me and Krista laugh? Oh, good times. I'm glad to find you're a blogger!

Danielle said...

Angela!! I was so happy to see your little blog. It's almost as good as getting a Merrill J. Bateman quote on our bedroom wall. I miss you!!

Preston Smith said...

HA! yes i am getting married at the end of this month to mindi peterson... did you ever know her? anyway! WHOOOOO WOOOO i'm pumped to get married!

becks said...

Hahaha! I could make a huge list of stuff just from the DDI:
-"Who's it for? Who's it for?"
-"Down with Kevin!"
-You slipping and falling on the kitchen floor when you were running out of your room so excited because you were wearing your Halloween pj's with the ghosts on them.
-M.J. Bateman quotes
-Weezer
-"Hank brought your bra back."
-Candle on the Water
-Sabrina the Teenage Witch every day after work/school and us getting frustrated because they kept showing the episodes out of order.
-Dinner Group
-Emporer's New Groove and Center Stage
-And yes, German retard voice.
We seriously need a reunion.

Anonymous said...

Good times in the DDI! Remember the floating Angela head?

Paige said...

Lovely post Angela!! What great memories. Come se dice, I miss you so much?!?!? I really do miss you lots! Hope you are doing well and I can't wait to see you.

julie said...

There's gotta be some London memories that should go on this list. Dinner at Wagamamas for sure! Or maybe watching Oronoko.

Nancy said...

Fun list. You do a good job remembering the good. I look back and think how awesome it was, I'd love to go back... but then I start thinking about all the sucky parts too. Like I was describing the back porch of the arch house to someone the other day and how much we loved it and then I realized that I actually hated the low basement ceilings with the exposed pipes that got hot, etc. And I was such a bad cook back then. :)

krista said...

I just wanted to add a few specifics to the DDI days: waking up to NSYNC and Brittney after swim club, the pumpkin bandit, german retard, Bishop Ballard and his advice, etc. Love ya!
p.s. After Bryce and I were first married I accidentally baked a spider into some German Pancakes. That's worse than a fingernail...

Amott Family said...

Cousin Ang-
There is nothing better than the old pioneer house and playing makebelieve. I will miss you at Easter! I love ya.
Cousin Ande
p.s. You did forget playing 'war' with canned cherries as the soliders guts in Grandma's freaky ET basement>>