Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TV addiction: A mother's confession

As a new mom I have lost the joys of sleep, leisure, and soon food. In fact I mentioned to Adam the other night that it may be time for me to stop pretending that I can eat whatever I want because I am pregnant/nursing, to which he thoughtfully replied, "Its been a good run..." With this impending additional loss I find I have only one real indulgence left in my life: Television. When Molly was born we didn't even have cable. I was sustained by the news and re-watching seasons of Gilmore Girls on DVD and I was fine with that. During the first week of her life I was an emotional mess, I could not cope with this tiny fragile creature, the loss of freedom, and the trauma of healing after childbirth. One day, in a particularly horrible moment, I was uncontrollably bawling and Adam came walking in the door from work on the phone with the cable company. He announced that he was ordering me cable WITH a DVR and I have never loved him more than in that moment! Since then we have also added netflix to our repertoire and I am now frequently disturbed by the amount of TV I watch on a daily basis. I really need to get control, but I find that it really gets me through the day. I'm not always watching it, sometimes I have it on as background noise or just to feel like I am not alone. Am I the only one? Those of you without TV, how do you do it?

6 comments:

Melissa Stone said...

We didn't even get local channels when I had Ethne so netflix and movies were my saving grace. Then we spent some time living with my in-laws and we had cable, TLC became my best friend. I also spend a fair amount of time on mommy websites and facebook. You're not alone.

Kristan said...

this story had me grinning from ear to ear. i'm not a mom and i don't stay at home but i feel like my tv watching comes in waves - so i'm okay with the obsessive times because i know it won't last. so i say, don't stress it. and just think of all the things you've learned from tv and movies . . . and i'm not talking about from the history channel :) all you need to know you can learn from the gilmore's of the world :)

Danielle said...

I don't watch TV because I have no self control. But I make up for it on the time I spend on the internet. It seems like every day is a struggle with productivity/unwinding and staying sane. Tell me when you figure it all out!!

julie said...

We don't have cable, but once we get settled into our new house, I'm definitely getting netflix. I've been persuaded by all my friends who have it and can attest to the benefits of life with it. Currently, I really enjoy watching the Today Show in the mornings, and King of Queens is on at 3:00 every day, and I always have to check and see if it's one I've seen or not. If it's one I've seen, then I usually end up watching Dr. Phil. These shows definitely help me get through the day!

Paige said...

Tell Adam that he is my hero. No one should ever have to live without t.v. or DVR. I'm so glad he brought it back to you. And P.S. I'm glad you got it back in time for the best Bachelor finale ever AND March Madness. Huzzah!!!!

Rach said...

When Jacob was a baby he cried endlessly and the only thing I could do to calm him down was bounce him in his bouncy seat. Tim recognized my increasing insanity and ordered Dish Network and Netflix, and I got through all 6 seasons of Alias and got deep into Lost while he was a baby. It's been a trend ever since. Welcome to the club, sister friend. Netflix streaming is the best EVER!