Saturday, September 25, 2010

warning: a downer

Tonight after putting Molly down, I started looking at old pictures on the computer. I came across our engagement pictures and I was actually shocked by how young I look. Adam and I have only been married for about 2 1/2 years, however it might as well have been my senior portraits considering the difference between then and now. I remember my sister-in-law once remarked that she couldn't wait to turn 30 because then she would be as old as she really felt. She has 3 children. I couldn't understand it at the time, but now I totally get it. Its not just the new added work and responsibility of my little bebe, it is just life. I have come to the sad realization that the further I get into my life, the more work it becomes and the thought frankly depresses me. I suppose the paybacks get better too, Molly smiles etc. but man I do I feel old...

p.s. Aside from my elderly status, motherhood is getting better and better. I confess I kiss my baby's cheeks about a thousand times a day. I cannot stop, they are so soft and sweet smelling! I love love love that baby, it literally makes my heart hurt aaahhhh!!!

p.p.s. Adam thinks I am furiously typing my dissertation...

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I started debating the other day whether or not I should start keeping a list of all the things I want to do when my kids are grown up. Not that I'm trying to make them grow up any faster (or that I'll still be this young when they are grown up) but so I don't forget all the aspirations I have for spending my free time when I actually have free time. I can't even believe how young Brandon and I looked when we got married. And there's a picture of me holding newborn Will that I look super young. And I came home from church today and told Brandon to please not let us turn into one of those couples where the guy still dresses all professional and put together because he's working a professional job and the wife looks all frumpy and is wearing a 15 year old dress and a haircut from her 20s.

janel said...

No accompanying picture? Oh man. (I am addicted to kissing my baby's (almost 2?!). Seriously, it's practically vampiric. But I can't stop.)

Rach said...

I have been feeling a lot the same way lately. I have started noticing parts of my face that are looking an awful lot like my mom's face, and other parts of my body that don't seem to want to go back to where they were a few years ago (like into my smaller pants). And sometimes the things I say are just ridiculously like a mom. What I've found helps me is to make sure I keep doing fun stuff with my friends. As long as I giggle like a little girl once a week it keeps back those chin hairs. Too much information? Maybe.

Lisa said...

I've been feeling like I look super old lately too, and I don't even have kids yet! So not only I'm behind the times, but now I'm old! BLAH!

Rachel said...

I found your blog again! Yay! Your baby is just so darling. And in my opinion, sleep deprivation makes you feel/look older than you are, but it gets better!